Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Rant on the Quality of Teaching

In "The Present State of Freshmen Composition" by Albert R. Kitzhaber, he states on pg. 257: "The deficiencies of high school English courses and textbooks and of the professional preparation of many high school teachers of English have now been made a matter of public concern, and rightly so if any large-scale improvement is to be brought about." Now, to backtrack a bit, I've observed how sometimes a person, namely me, can go through something, and then all that week other somethings that point to that first something happen. This week was one of those weeks. I read this essay the day after I saw Kitzhaber's point made reality.

In my 600 class on Monday, I was angered over a high school English teacher's stand on educating her students. She proudly and defiantly said that she had thrown out the traditional ways of teaching in lieu of using Spongebob Squarepants and Family Guy to teach the fundamental mechanics. I had two thoughts when she took her position: 1) This lady has clearly watched Dead Poet's Society one too many times, and 2) Dear God, please don't let this woman teach my children English when they're in high school. Now don't get me wrong. While I am all for finding new ways to make English interesting to naturally bored teenagers, I felt like she, and teachers like her, are the reason why American kids can't perform as well as other nationalities in academic endeavors. These teachers are the reason why our education system has become a joke to the rest of the world! Our kids can't spell, create a grammatically correct sentence, or form coherent thoughts on paper to save their lives, but by God, they can point out the underlying metaphor in The Simpsons until the cows come home.

When I was going for my Bachelor's in Creative Writing a few years ago, I was thoroughly appalled by many of my fellow students. In 300 and 400 level writing workshops, they turned in final drafts of stories that sorely lacked any technical skill or creative merit. Their stories were also full of countless spelling and grammatical errors. Workshops were torture for me because I had to read their work; I was so distracted by all the problems with the drafts that I couldn't even pay attention to the stories. But if memory serves, those stories were so lackluster and unimaginative my brain hurt just to read them. I wondered how people so thoroughly bad at English could have graduated from high school, let alone be studying English as a major. Well, now I know.

Later on, the offending teacher touted how the more traditional teachers needed to retire because they were stuck in their antiquated ways; meanwhile, she was teaching them "the skills they needed to survive in the real world by teaching them tricks to get through their ACTs or SATs so they could get into college." Then she bragged about how she threw out the required textbook and had the kids trained to pull it out whenever the principal came into the room. I felt like asking her how exactly school admissions boards would be impressed with a kid who cited Spongebob as a major inspiration to his/her schooling. I also felt like shouting at her that she was not teaching them real-world skills like she was boasting, but merely teaching them how to cheat the system. I honestly can't believe how she thought she was a good teacher.

My high school experience was not full of cartoons.

In Senior English, the work was hard and deliberately so. My teacher, Ms. Bierbaum, said she was getting us ready to deal with college, and gave us a syllabus. Then a grueling year of Latin roots, Descartes, and Shakespeare followed. We studied the great Renaissance artists like Michelangelo, DaVinci, and Bernini and did presentations on their work. We didn't have PowerPoint back then, but it was fun using the overhead projector to show off La Pieta and David. I loved Edgar Allan Poe, only liked Ernest Hemingway, and absolutely hated The Grapes of Wrath. We studied Truth with a capital T and read Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave". Let's not forget how we also read and discussed the psychology of "Oedipus" and "Electra". If studying the classics and philosophy weren't enough, we also learned about different religions of the world - Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism - and how their belief systems benefited humanity. It was a very challenging year, to be sure, but our teacher somehow found ways to make it entertaining at the same time she made it enlightening. By the time I graduated, I was a much more well-rounded person than when I began 12th grade. Ms. Bierbaum was energetic and passionate and just this side of crazy, and a damn fine teacher. When I become a teacher, that's what I'd aspire to be.

I know not all teachers are created equal. This moronic woman in my 600 class is not indicative of all teachers in the United States. When Dave told our class how he had his students on their desks to act out the balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet, I thought that was brilliant. I'm of the notion that Shakespeare is better watched than read. But it proves my point that you can still teach the classics and make it fun too. And he didn't have to throw out the whole curriculum to do it either. It just frightened me that she did.

6 comments:

  1. I think she had good points to her argument (as I was in the class too). First, I must say that I am not a teacher and have only done some student teaching, so am probably not 100 percent qualified to respond, but I certainly can see the difference between good teaching and bad.

    The teacher, in my opinion, (you didn't name her and neither will I) was simply trying to point out how lacking the core curriculum is in schools today, and how it is not getting across to the students. As a future teacher I have looked through some text books and find that they are seriously lacking in the things students need to suceed. I was secretly planning on throwing out the book when I become a teacher as well (and probably after I am 10 year).

    But, in no way does that make her a horrible teacher. She clearly had a plan, a way that gets through to the students while teaching them the essentials of what they need to know.

    One of my best friends in college didn't know what a topic sentence, much less a thesis, was until I went over her papers and explained it to her. This issue is not due to teachers trying to reach their students in innovative ways that may sound strange, but gets learning accomplished. It comes from teachers who don't care and don't try. More than ever you should wish your kids don't have these teachers, because they are real I've seen them. I observed a teacher who literall did nothing everyday with their students. The kids who talk to each other, play music in class (the song was "I was gettin' some head" ... I'm not joking) and cuss, while the teacher sat at her desk and surfed the internet.

    The point I'm trying to make is these students need something new in their lives, open your mind because it might just work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, I DO have an open mind, so I did not appreciate the implication that I don't. But I'm sorry, I don't think Spongebob can teach a person English. I've watched it with my children, and while it's funny and cute, it has no literary merit. I stick by my statement 100%. Are kids easily distracted and naturally bored? Absolutely. But WE'RE the adults. We make them adapt to us. Not the other way around like your friend suggested. I kind of think that teaching is like parenting, and as any parent will tell you, letting the children dictate how things are going to be is like putting the inmates in charge of the asylum. And furthermore, lowering our standards just to make it easier for them is not the answer.

    I understand that all of you have been in the program a while, so you probably feel some sort of loyalty to her. I can appreciate that. But don't kid yourself. She bragged about throwing out the textbook and training the kids to lie about it for her when the principal walks in. Is this the mark of a good teacher? Someone who encourages her students to lie to cover for her? What message does that send them? And furthermore, if she felt so passionately that the textbook was outdated, then she should have calmly and rationally made her case to her principal and administrators, not taken matters into her own hands. There's a reason these requirements are in place, and she, as an underling, may not understand those reasons completely.

    I did, however, absolutely agree with your assessment of that teacher you witnessed. Why bother being a "teacher", and I use that term loosely, if you're not going to pay attention to your students'? I pray my children do not have teachers like that as well, because they too are the reason our kids are the laughingstock of the world, academically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended the same high school this teacher teaches at and I know what older teachers she's talking about because I had one of them (and absolutely loved him). But he taught honors and AP English classes. I think I've always had a skewed version of how high school students respond to English because I was surrounded by the kids who actually wanted to be there.

    I really appreciate your point of view toward how this teacher chose to reach her students, but I can see both sides. Things are changing in high school English and I think it's up to the teachers to adapt because the students will not. Finding new ways to reach students might involve new technologies, but that doesn't mean they should forget the classics. And it might involve keeping students entertained, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be challenging.

    We all have our views of how best to reach students and get them to be as passionate about English as we all are, but we have to remember our audience. Is this teacher in charge of a class of students who are stuggling in all aspects of their school work? If so, these students are vastly different than those who work hard in their classes without being prompted to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting discussion, and I enjoyed reading it. While I do not teach English, I still remember being a student in a high school English class. I had one teacher who was on the verge of retirement and ran the most "traditional" version of a classroom I had ever seen. We were dedicated to our Prentice Hall Grammar books and never strayed from the established curriculum. As "boring" as her class was, I cannot deny the fact that I learned a great deal from her. When I took my ACT a year later, her explanation of certain vocabulary words came back to me and helped me. Sure, I nearly dozed off a time or two and probably wanted to die of boredom, but she did her job and she did it well because I learned from her.

    I am a second-year high school teacher and I am still terrified of "throwing out the book." I see textbooks (most of them, anyway) as wonderful guides and companions on this path to learning. Until I am a well-established and veteran teacher, I don't believe that I personally have the knowledge and expertise to "throw out the book."

    Again, thanks for the interesting discussion. You got me thinking about a lot of things...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure we will never "throw out the book." In this, my fifth year teaching, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do know my stuff. The textbook is a glorious guide and has a plethora of material. Perhaps this teacher (no idea who you are talking about) was looking for a way to challenge herself in the classroom. Maybe the "old" way of doing the job was taking its toll on her and she needed to switch it up. Who knows. I have used "The Simpsons" (the site won't let me italicize) a few times, and often use clips of film, but am not completely reliant on them.
    We all have to look at the resources we have and judge what is the best for our students and ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something that bothers me about the whole "how to teach writing" discussion that bothers me is that it appears divided between the traditional and, as in the example you give here, the over-zealously progressive. What seems lacking is the same principles we use when we teach children and teens how to speak. I think most people have explained at some point the different between how we talk to our friends, and how we talk to people like teachers, bosses, and police officers. I am not picking up that these kinds of distinctions are being made in discussions on composition. If we can alter how we speak to fit the situation, it seems logical to teach writing to also fit the situation. It just doesn't appear that students are really getting the distinction, which may perhaps result in the nearly-impossible to read stories you've mentioned here.

    On another note, I have also really appreciated my mandatory reads in the respected titles of literature. In some cases I have fallen in love with authors I may not have otherwise read (Kurt Vonnegut) and in other cases I have learned to take those authors of great reputation off of their pedestals. Part of reading the canon is learning to engage with and intelligently question the canon. Something students weaned on Spongebob may find difficult.

    Dead Poets Society has ruined English studies in its own special way.

    ReplyDelete