Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Kids' Act of Selflessness


My kids never cease to amaze me.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when Gabby, my middle child, comes to me the other day and asks my permission to go around the neighborhood with her best friend, Jade, to ask people for a dollar donation for the people of Japan. She wanted to do something to help them after the earthquake, and decided the best way was to raise money. Flabbergasted, I gave her my blessing.

I was stunned! I must be doing something right with her if she takes it upon herself to raise money for people she doesn't know.

But it didn't end there. My two sons, Michael and Adam, found out what she was up to, and they wanted to help too!

Ultimately, they decided not to go door to door. They wound up setting up a card table at the edge of the driveway with a big sign asking for donations, and they spent literally all day out there waving to passing cars. They only made $7, but I'm proud of every single penny they earned. So I put it on my debit card and donated it all to the Red Cross via their website, www.redcross.org, specifying it be used to help the Japanese people, on their behalf.

You know, for such rotten kids, they sure can be sweet sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment