Friday, March 4, 2011

Why Angels?

If you're reading this blog, my screen name has not escaped your eye. "Katie's Angels." Why angels? Is that a reference to her kids? No. Angels, the honest-to-God divine creatures that serve as holy messengers are the beings I had in mind when I created my name. St. Thomas Aquinas, the angel doctor, said something to the effect that people who are devoted to the angels have a mark of destiny written upon them. Of course, those aren't his exact words and the relevant book where I could find the exact wording is packed up in a box in storage, but his words had a profound impact on me because I've always been devoted to angels. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, angels are more interesting to me than God. God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. Yawn. What's so interesting about a being who has no flaws? Angels, like humans, are flawed, have limited ability and knowledge, and have free-will. Their choices define them. That is just terribly fascinating to me.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure someone out there is insisting that I'm wrong about the free-will thing, and they're undoubtedly stuck on the Dionysian bandwagon from ancient times. Let me remind you that Lucifer was an angel once. If angels don't have free will, then how was he able to rebel against God? I have a lot of heretical ideas about him, but those will have to wait for another day.

So how did I get to be devoted to angels? I'm an angelophant, meaning someone who has had an angel encounter. In my case, I've had a lot of angel encounters. But those will have to remain private for now because I'm sure most of you, like me, are inherently skeptical of anyone claiming to have had an encounter. Most people, I've noticed, don't try to find the rational explanation for something first. They just automatically jump to angels, even if that probably wasn't the case.

I remember reading this horrid book by Doreen Virtue about the Archangel Michael, and she used a so-called reader encounter as an example of his presence in our lives. This woman evidently dropped her cell phone in a glass of water, and naturally it wouldn't work. So she said a prayer to St. Michael, put it on her charger, and let it sit overnight. The next day, it worked! Yeah, of course it worked. It dried out! But she attributed the "miracle" to St. Michael. Incidentally, that book pissed me off so much I actually returned it to Barnes and Noble; it was the first book I've ever returned. Yes, it was that bad. As someone who finds Virtue's brand of stupidity annoying, believe me when I say all my experiences defy reason. And even still, I wonder if I was suffering from temporary insanity or something. And that is the other reason I'm not big on sharing. I'm skeptical of myself.

But if I assume that I'm not mentally defective in some way, then it's clear to me that for whatever reason, angels are interested in my life. Honestly, I don't know why. I'm not that great. I'm just an average woman living an average life. There's absolutely nothing remarkable about me. So I figure that if St. Thomas Aquinas is right, it behooves me to understand them as much as I can. And that's why I'm devoted to learning everything I can about them. I don't rely on any religion or any human as my teacher. Rather, I rely on them. Who better to teach me about angels than angels? I've already learned a lot about the universe through them, my angels, and hopefully my education will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment