Saturday, July 9, 2011

The BBC Version of Robin Hood


Summer is my off time from school, and although I probably should be reading more books than I do, I actually prefer to veg out in front of the TV. My brain needs the time off worse than I do! Anyway, a few weeks ago, I discovered the BBC's version of "Robin Hood" on Netflix. Seeing as how Robin Hood is a Trickster figure, and my Master's thesis will be about Tricksters, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

And I loved it!

You know, the danger of doing Robin Hood, apart from the fact that it's been done a thousand times, is that his character risks being too goody goody and self-righteous. I can't stand characters who essentially have their hands on their hips, smiling broadly, with a light glinting off their flawless teeth. I like characters, especially good guys, who have dirt on their noses. This version of Robin Hood, played by Jonas Armstrong, is different in that he isn't Captain America (or England, as it were). I get the feeling that he's not altruistic and completely selfless. He helps people because it's the right thing to do, sure, but also because he wants their adoration. I find this unusual deviance wonderfully complex, and it colors him with more richness than I've seen in previous versions.

But as well-developed of a character as Robin is, the Sheriff is the most compelling villain I've ever seen in the Robin Hood myth. In prior versions, I've never really understood the oppression the peasants endured under his patronage. Sure, he's been a rat bastard in previous incarnations, but it's never been very convincing. This Sheriff, played by Keith Allen, truly makes me believe that he's the epitome of evil, like Nottingham's version of Hitler. Some examples from his long list of cruelty include cutting out tongues and breaking prisoners' legs. He frequently threatens to execute peoples' family members to coerce them into betraying Robin Hood and the Merry Men. But his evilness is unique because his cruelness is surpassed by vicious cunning. He's not a bumbling moron like many of his predecessors. He knows how to push peoples' buttons and he doesn't hesitate to do it. He is truly the perfect nemesis to Robin.

One of my favorite aspects of this new version of Robin Hood is how Marian is portrayed. In prior versions, she's been essentially a weak female character. As I write this, I keep thinking of Disney's cartoon version with Marian running from the guards yelling, "Robin, help, help!" Other versions are equally guilty of making her helpless and dependent on our hero to save the day. Blech! As a woman, as a feminist, I get tired of that crap. Thankfully, the BBC gave Marian a 21st century attitude. She doesn't automatically run into Robin's arms with gratitude and relief the moment he arrives back in Nottingham. In fact, she gives him quite a lot of hell before she warms up again to him. Eventually, they become lovers as the Robin Hood legend prescribes, but she's not dependent on him. They're equals, with him helping her and her helping him. She also does things that aren't "girly." She knows how to ride horses, fight with swords and knives, shoot a bow, etc. In spite of her considerable skills, the men around her frequently underestimate her, and she uses this to her advantage. This is a Marian with a brain and a considerable amount of brawn. She's definitely not the typical rendition of Robin's lady love.


The other supporting characters, while obviously not as well-developed as Robin, are equally interesting. They're not mindless automatons who blindly take orders. They have real thoughts and emotions, and distinctly unique personalities that I've never seen before in past incarnations. These personalities are new twists on ancient character archetypes. For example, Little John isn't Robin's best friend, and in fact, he doesn't always like his new leader. Robin's best friend is Much, a character mentioned in the earliest written legends but who gradually faded from the literature with time. Much, in this version, is fairly fussy, but he provides nearly all the comic relief of the show. Allan a'Dale is the con-artist who really wants something in return for all his do-gooding. Will Scarlet is the shy, quiet carpenter who gets involved with Robin after being wrongfully condemned to hang. The last familiar face is Tuck, who, in this version is a black warrior priest, a far cry from the drunk we're so familiar with. There have been a couple of female gang members not seen at all in prior versions: Djaq, the Saracen captive Robin rescues, and Kate, the villager who wants revenge for her brother's death. These two, like Marian, are strong women with brains and abilities that surpass their looks.

The show has been off the air for a couple years now, so obviously I'm a little late getting involved with it. But it's definitely worth watching if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment