Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sacred Writing

Describe the most disappointed you've ever been in someone.

My good-for-nothing mother is a perpetual disappointment to me. That's the risk you run when you're the child of a drug-addicted alcoholic. My brother and I constantly ask each other, "At what point did we surpass our mother in maturity?" I wish I could say it was just one thing that made her a failure, but the truth is it's a mountain of things. Like, showing up drunk to every single one of my children's births. Or the way she stumbled through Wal-mart one day for four hours before my grandpa called me to rescue her, and of course by then she'd bumped into several people we knew who wound up being too polite to say anything to me. Or how she got on Facebook on my birthday and told all her friends that I was a selfish, worthless excuse of a daughter who cared nothing about her troubles with her creditors. It is so ironic and cruel that my friend Michaela could lose her mother, a woman who so clearly loved her and cared for her, when my mother, a woman who long ago ran out of opportunities, still lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment