Friday, May 13, 2011

Thor

Well, my summer movie season officially kicked off on Mother's Day when my husband took me to see Thor. And no, this wasn't an insensitive move on his part. I totally begged him to take me. I'm not a chick-flick sort of girl. I love superhero movies, and while I'm not really familiar with the Thor comic books, this one was no different. My husband is a lucky, lucky man.

Anyway, we went to see it. Now, the standing joke amongst English majors like me is that we can't go to the movies because we spend the whole time analyzing it to death. Or, if we do go, we're inevitably miserable for the same reason. I drive my family nuts because it's hard to find a movie that impresses me anymore. Usually, I can drive a bus through the plot holes I see.

But Thor definitely impressed me.

I'm shocked, really. I do love action movies, but those kinds of movies are easy to screw up. It's hard to find a superhero flick with a good plot line, good characterization, good balance between humor and seriousness, etc.

Honestly,Thor whipped all the other Marvel superheroes' asses. It even topped X-Men. I never thought I'd see the day when that one lost its title. Whereas most Marvel superheroes are torn about their power and their duty, this one was more focused on learning how to survive in an alien world. And it wasn't unbelievable like they usually are in that it didn't have this all-powerful hero fighting humans or even a super-villain. Thor, stripped of his powers and strength, faced off against humans for most of the movie. And he wasn't invulnerable by any means. Some of the funniest moments in the movie revealed just how frail he had become. I think my favorite element of the whole thing was the family dynamic, not just between Thor and his family, but between Jane and her little rag-tag band as well.

I know I'm being vague with my examples, but I'm trying to avoid spoiling it for people who haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, I walked out of the theater wanting to walk right back in. It's pretty rare that I want to see a movie twice in the theater, especially at the 3-D prices. Thor is a damn fine movie.

Of course, Batman is still my favorite superhero. Yeah, yeah, that's DC Universe, I know. But Thor is a close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment