Monday, October 10, 2011

Mortal Kombat

So Larry and I bought the latest Mortal Kombat game, and it rocks. And now I'm on an MK kick. This happens every time a new game comes out. Well, this time, my interest coincides with the upcoming National Novel Writing Month that asks participants to write a novel up to 50,000 words in a month or less. The point isn't to make a polished piece of Shakespearean-esque literature, but just to have fun and try to finish a novel.

I kind of thought that since my work as of late is so academic and stuffy, it might be nice to write something silly and fun for a change. I entertained the idea of writing a Mortal Kombat fan-fic series that uses everything I've learned thus far about creative writing. There's a YouTube web series called Mortal Kombat: Legacy that traces the main characters' origins in ten minute episodes. It's an interesting show, but my biggest criticism is that ten minutes isn't really enough time to develop these characters adequately. So for the Novel of the Month project, I thought it might be fun to better develop those characters in fiction.

So I started drafting a story about Sub-Zero, who is my favorite character in the Mortal Kombat universe. Spare me your declarations of love for Scorpion; believe me, I've heard it from plenty of people already! Yes, he's cool, but I love Sub-Zero more. Either way, I'll try to write a Scorpion origins story as well for this project. And then I'll try to muster the courage to post said stories to my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment