Monday, October 10, 2011

Sacred Writing

Has a book ever brought you to tears?

The Green Mile by Stephen King never fails to make me cry. The end is so sad, and the part that gets me every time is when the guard, Paul, tells his wife that he's never felt any real danger of hell until now. The last line gives me chills: "Every man owes a death. There are no exceptions. But oh God, sometimes the Green Mile is so long."

The other books that make me cry are the Harry Potter books, obviously when someone dies. I think it's because JK Rowling does such a great job at characterization that you really feel like the characters are your friends. So when they die, it's like you've lost a piece of yourself. I sobbed when Cedric Diggory died, mainly because of the way the scenes after were written. Harry is so full of pain, but he can't even cry. Obviously, I bawled when Sirius, Dumbledore, Tonks, Lupin, and Fred died. But I cried the most when Snape's story was finally revealed, and how much he loved Harry's mom. That part got me in the movie too. I think I was the only one in the theater during The Deathly Hallows Part 2 trying to be subtle about how distraught I was when Snape was cradling the dead Lily in his arms. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment