Thursday, August 11, 2011

Endometriosis

The longer I live, the more convinced I become that karma hates me.

Case in point. Things are really starting to look up for me right now. My thesis proposal was accepted. Every teacher I wanted on my thesis committee has agreed to be on it. I was offered a spot teaching a section of English 099. The kids are back in school. I had an epiphany about my novel-in-progress.

But of course, karma has a way of balancing my life out. Whenver good things happen, they're immediately countered by bad things.

This time, it's endometriosis.

I was first diagnosed a year before I conceived my youngest son. My doctor did laproscopic surgery on my belly to scrape out every trace of the disease he could find. Unfortunately, endometriosis has only two cures: pregnancy or hysterectomy. Well, I got pregnant last time. But the doc told me it would eventually come back, and when that happened, I'd need a hysterectomy.

It's back. With a vengeance.

The worst part is I can't even get in to see my doctor for another month! So I'm going to have to try my hardest to make it through a month of excruciating abdominal pain while going to school and teaching comp. I went to the ER because the pain was so bad I thought I'd been stabbed, but they treated me like a petty drug addict trying to scam them for pain meds. In reality, what I really wanted was them to scoop out my innards so I could recover sooner.

My mom had endometriosis when she was a tad younger than me, and when they finally did her hysterectomy, her ovaries had become giant blood blisters, and they had to take those out as well. As a result, she's developed serious conditions over the years. She's had a stroke, severe osteoporosis, and a plethora of other problems.

I just hope that when they get around to fixing me, my ovaries aren't jacked up like hers were. I do not want to wind up a mess like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment