Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Show I Would Cancel - Swamp People

Day 22 - 30 Day TV Challenge



I'm not anti-hunter, by any means. I don't like it, and would never do it unless I absolutely had to so I wouldn't starve, but I don't get pissy with people who do enjoy it. This show is the exception to the rule. My husband started watching this on Netflix, and after the first episode, I was physically nauseous. The premise is that there are these guys down in the Louisiana bayou who do nothing but hunt alligators. There's a very good reason for it: evidently, alligators reproduce as quickly as rabbits, so they'll quickly overrun an area. Since they're such dangerous animals, they can't be left unchecked. They'll eat your pets and even your children! So, the rational part of me knows this is a dirty job that must be done. However, I don't like that a camera crew takes you along for the ride to watch them kill alligators. They have to snare them like a fish on a hook, then shoot them in the head through a target no bigger than a quarter. But they show everything. When a hunter shot one of these animals, alligator blood splattered the camera lens as if it were a lame horror movie. But the worst part was when they killed a record breaking alligator who was something like 15 feet long and nearly a thousand pounds. I mean, that was one of God's creatures who'd obviously been alive for years because he was legendary, and wham. Here come some ruthless hunters who kill him and turn him into a pair of boots. It is a disgusting show on so many levels.

1 comment:

  1. Fully agree. Makes you wonder a) what has the definition of entertainment on TV become and b) why is a respected channel like History resorting to a bunch of mindless rednecks slaughtering alligators for ratings. The sum of their combined education can't exceed 8 years. Which begs the question who would watch it.

    ReplyDelete